Assessment is an important part of growing and learning. But feedback can't just come from the teacher. Being able to look at our own work and think critically about it- think about what went well and what needs more work, think about the amount of effort and thought we actually put into our work, think about ways we can improve and move forward- is a skill that benefits us throughout our lives, helps us to find our passions, rise in our professions, become better people overall.
In my K1 art classes I ask all students to self-assess their work. We begin with a very simple assessment in which students have to circle the "smiley face" that best illustrates how they feel they worked on their project overall. The happy smiley face means that they did their very best. The "squiggly," half smile-half frown face tells me they think they did ok, but can do better. The frowny face indicates that they realize they did not do their best work and they know they can do much better.
We completed this simple assessment after the first few projects this year. Following our still life project, I added a reflection piece: Students now also have to tell me what they feel was the best part of their individual project and, if they could, why they felt that was the best.
Here are some of the answers they gave for what they liked the most in their own work and why:
The thing I like the most is....
- the pattern because I drew it pretty.
- the yarn pattern in red and pink because my mommy used to knit.
- the table because it's colorful
- Everything! The pattern because they are my favorite colors.
- the grapes because they are red.
- everything but the flowers, because I don't like flowers.
- my pattern because I did hearts and circles.
- the dinosaur because he is orange.
- the dinosaur because it's pink and that is my sister's and my favorite color.
- the apple because it's red, because I like red with black.
- the flower because it's red and purple.
- my dinosaur because it looks scary.
- the cattails because I'm having my own flower that goes in a pond.
- the dinosaur because it's cool because it's teeth are amazing.
- the patterns because they make me smile with the different colors.
- the apple because I tried my best in making it.
- the table because it's beautiful because I made hearts.
- my dinosaur because I did my best.
- the flowers because they have pattern, and even the apple.
- the flowers because of the colors.
- the dinosaur because it's funny.
- the dinosaur because I did great.
- the wall because I made it fancy.
- the flowers because I have flowers in my house.
- the dinosaur and the table because the table is colorful and I did good drawing the dinosaur.
- the dinosaur because it's standing on the basket.
- I worked hard to make that rainbow table.
- the grapes because they have different colors.
- grapes because they are my favorite fruit.
- the flowers and basket because they look pretty nice. They do cool stuff and also the basket is holding the flowers.
- the walls because they are so colorful.
- the apple because it's red.
- the hearts because they are a shape.
- the apple because it's round and red and it's like a shape.
- the patterns because they are different colors.
- los corasones-the hearts because they are so pretty. The hearts are blue.
- the flowers because I like the colors I painted them
- my pattern because on the top I did hearts and shapes.
- the colors, how they mix together.
- the apple because it's so colorful and red.
- my patterns because I did them how I wanted them.
- that I did the patterns because I did really good designs.
- the flowers because I tried my best doing how the flowers were.
- my dinosaur because I tried my best and colored my best because I have to color my best.
- the dinosaur because it's red. It looks like he's running, like his hands are moving.
- my stars because they are different colors.
- the table because I put a dinosaur that looks green, and the block and the apple are red and look like eyes. The orange vase and flowers and purple grapes and blue basket.
- the dinosaur because that his claws are up and side to side and his feet look like claws.
- the dinosaur because I did my best.
- las flores tam bien la mansana y tam bien las cubas- the flowers and the apple and the grapes because they look pretty to me.
- the flowers because they smell good.
- the numbers because I like the shapes and the letters.
- the stars on my picture because I made the stars purple and purple is my favorite color.
- the whole picture because there are a bunch of colors and my favorite color is all the colors.
- the dinosaur. I like the color purple and I like monsters.
- my flowers because I did a good shape.
- the basket handles look cool.
- the table because it's different colors.
- my pattern on top because I like how I did the stripes.
- how I did the water because it looks like the water is real.
- the flowers because I really like the hotdog (cattail) and sunflower.
- the apple because they are delicious and I like to eat them everyday.
- the green color because it's a pretty shade.
- the red lines because they are red and red is my first favorite color.
- the apple because I think I colored it the best.
- the flowers because I always make flowers for my mom.
- the flowers because they are blue.
- the apple because it looks so real.
- the table because all those beautiful colors stayed in.
- the flowers because it looks so amazing because it looks like a skyscraper.
- the checker pattern because it reminds me of my favorite thing- drawing.
No comments:
Post a Comment