Monday, November 23, 2015

1st Grade: Not A Weaving

This year, 1st Graders are spending some time in Art learning about "thinking outside of the box" and expanding our imaginations. The first project of the year challenged students to become architects and design their own dream house. Our next two projects, that have been happening simultaneously, ask students to take ordinary, functional objects that we create in art class (a pinch pot and a weaving sample), and change them into new, possibly nonfunctional, artworks. This blog post will illuminate the process behind our "Not A Weaving" Collages.

To create our "Not A Weaving" collages, we first had to create our weavings. As a class, we looked at examples of weaving from around the world and talked about how weaving is a technique used to make fabrics and textiles that have many uses in our lives, such as clothing, rugs, scarves, baskets, and much more. We then made a small paper weaving, using one 6X9 piece of colored construction paper as our loom (we cut strips in it), and precut strips of paper in a multitude of colors to weave into the loom. I demonstrated how weaving is all about patterns, threading the paper strip over and under, over and under, each strip in my loom. As I move to the next strip, I have to make sure I begin weaving it in a way that is opposite to the strip I just finished. For instance, if my first strip is woven going under, over, under, over, then I must weave the second strip beginning by going over, then under, over, under. By doing so, we create a checkerboard pattern and ensure that each strip is locked in place by the one below it. When finished, we glued down the pieces at the edges to keep everything in place. I also encouraged the kids to create patterns with the colors they chose. 




This process took one class period to complete. During the next class, I alerted the kids to their challenge for the day-turning their weavings into something totally new. We then read Not A Box, by Antoinette Portis to help provide some inspiration and spark their imaginations! In the book a young rabbit is asked repeatedly what he doing with a box. He responds, "It's not a box, it's a spaceship...a hot air balloon....a fire truck...." The students had a great time trying to guess what the box would be next, and then came up with their own ideas for what to turn their weavings into. 

Using collage only, no drawing, students cut and pasted shapes of paper to turn their weavings into fabulous new works of art. The ideas ranged from houses, trucks and shape ships, to a menagerie of animals and even an entire city! Here are a few of these colorful, creative collages!














To see all of the "Not A Weaving" collages please visit the Student Galleries link on my classroom website.

Please keep in mind that classes work on projects at different paces. Artwork is uploaded to the website as they finish. If your child's work is not up, please check back later. 



No comments:

Post a Comment