In any given day I will hear, "I'm done! Now what do I do?" many, many, many, many, many times over. I try to have as many answers to this question as times that I hear it! I have a multitude of centers and activities available to students to ensure that they will always be able to find something to peak their interest, inspire their creativity, keep them engaged and encourage further art making beyond the parameters of the project they just completed.
Here are some of the centers that students can chose from when they enter "Independent Time":
Sketchbooks:
Every child has a sketchbook. This is a place for them to explore any and all ideas that pop into their heads. I offer no direction in terms of what they should draw or write, unless we use the sketchbooks to practice a concept or plan for a project. When students use their sketchbooks during Independent Time they may use it as they wish. Some students fill it with drawings and writing, others create collages, and some even cut pages out of the books to share their work with others. When a sketchbook's pages have been completely filled they may be taken home, and a new one will be made.
The Scrap Bin: Collage:
In the Art Room we try to use every material to the fullest. I often have lots of left over scraps of paper from projects that I toss in the scrap bin for kids to use in collages and paper sculptures during Independent Time. There are also plenty of glue sticks and specialty scissors for students to use at their leisure.
Still Life:
Drawing from observation is an important activity that helps hone your drawing skills. It trains your eyes to look closely and concentrate on details. I keep a large basket of objects for students to set up their own still life to draw from during Independent Time. These drawings are often done in their sketchbooks.
Inspirational Images: Art Prints, Photographs, and Instructional Books
Students also have access to hundreds of prints of artworks and photographs of a variety of subjects including cars, still life, animals and landscapes. In addition, there are collections of instructional books and packets about how to draw animals, ideas for drawing people and "Zentangles" (or doodles).
Weaving (2nd Grade only):
Weaving is a centuries old art form that is used around the world to create many functional and decorative objects. The process of weaving can be very meditative and therapeutic due to the repetitive nature of it. In 1st grade students are introduced to basic weaving techniques using paper. In 2nd Grade they practice these techniques on larger looms with string, yarn and weaving needles. These weavings are "community" property, and will be worked on by many different students in different classes throughout the year. When finished, they will hang in the classroom and around the school.
This is our first finished Community Weaving!
Building Blocks:
This is one of the most popular centers, as so many kids love to build and construct. This center introduces students to the world of architecture while nurturing their imaginations.
Fun Sheets:
2 bins FULL of activity sheets that build on kids' critical thinking and visual problem solving, including mazes, connect the dots, hidden picture challenges and much more! Here are a sampling of some of the choices kids may find, including famous artwork coloring sheets:


Library:
The Art Room has a small library of books about, yes, Art, but also other subjects that might appeal to students, such as bugs, animals, flowers, Star Wars, and a collection of picture books and stories. Students are free to use the library to find inspiration for their projects and to peruse through during Independent Time.
I hope to keep adding resources and building new centers to help give students many choices in which to engage in to extend their art making beyond class projects. For more details about curriculum, my teaching philosophy, and me in general, please visit my website. https://sites.google.com/site/mrsrart/.








No comments:
Post a Comment